The cake recipe makes two 8 inch cake rounds. I only had 8 guests so I made about 20 shots which only used half of one cake. I froze the rest to use for cake pops at a later date so it doesn’t go to waste. The recipe could easily be halved.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbs liquor of your choice (I used vanilla vodka)
3 cups plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 boxes Jell-o
2 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup liquor
Gummy bears or worms
Buttercream, homemade or store bought (I used a tube of read and white wilton swirl for the spiked shooters)
1. Make the cake. Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease two 8 inch cake rounds. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar for 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks and slowly pour in the milk. Stir in the vanilla and liquor.
2. Fold in the flour, salt and baking powder. In a small separate bowl whip the egg whites until stiff. Fold the whites into the batter.
3. Fill each round and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to cool completely.
4. Make the jell-o. Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in the gelatine until dissolved. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Stir in the alcohol and then pour into a dish and refrigerate until completely set.
5. To assemble use a shot glass as a cookie cutter to cut circles out of the cake. Split each cut out in half if thick. Do the same with the jell-o. Fill each glass with a layer of cake, then a layer of jello-o and another layer of cake. Top each glass with a swirl of buttercream and a piece of candy.
Enjoy! I wonder how many it takes to get buzzed?
Make sure to check out the Cupcake Cocktail I served and check back later this week for the rest of the goodies I made for the party.
4th of July Layer Cake
I love layer cakes. Every time someone has a party I make one. They’re too big for me to make all the time. Between the two of us we’d never be able to eat it. A holiday themed cake is even better! I have the best mom she sent me 4th of July sprinkles and whatever else they had at wal-mart. We celebrated one day early.
World Cup USA Party
I had a last minute small world cup party at my house to watch the USA v Ghana game (let’s forget they lost). I made Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Swiss Meringue Buttercream, onion rings and pink lemonade. These were American things I could think of at the last minute to make. I almost made my own salsa and guacamole but decided to buy from Waitrose at the end. We did have Pimms which is English not American but it’s my favorite summer drink.