I had these leftover Oreos from the US and they were starting to get a little stale so they were screaming to be baked into something!
I thought Oreo Brownies would be a nice change. I’ve seen a lot of Oreo Cupcakes on the net so I tried to do something mildly different but not too out there. I do look forward to making Oreo Cupcakes at some point.
This recipe is from Ina Garten and it makes a giant pan so I halved it to fit into a standard 9 x 9 inch brownie pan and adapted the ingredients to be more UK friendly.
Oreo Crunch Brownies
adapted from Ina Garten
230g unsalted butter at room temperature (cut into cubes)
225g dark chocolate
85g coffee flavored chocolate (Green and Blacks is nice)
1 tbs vanilla
1 1/8 cup sugar
1/2 + 1/8 cup plain flour
1/2 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups Oreos (cut into quarters)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C. Grease a 9 x 9 inch brownie pan. In a double boiler melt the butter, dark chocolate and coffee chocolate until nice and smooth. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
Double boiler is a heat proof bowl over a pan with a small amount of boiling water. This little bowl with a handle I got at Ikea
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar eggs and vanilla.
3. Mix in the melted chocolate. In a small bowl sift together the 1/2 cup of flour, salt and baking powder and add to chocolate mixture.
4. In the now empty flour bowl bowl mix the Oreos and remaining 1/8 cup of flour then stir into the chocolate batter.
5. Pour batter into greased pan and smooth with a spatula. A small amount of batter can remain behind to make a brownie cupcake or two. Bake for 30-35 minutes (check with a tooth pick at 30 minutes). Cool completely before cutting into squares.